Tuesday, April 17, 2007

VT Shooter

Ever since I have started receiving details about the incident I just have not been able to understand it. I believe this is the saddest I have ever been about a public tragedy, it just has stuck with me every moment since it happened just sitting there in the back of my mind. I remember 9/11 and I remember feeling horrible and angry but not physically ill. Maybe its because one can understand why the hijackers did what they did. They see themselves in a constant state of war between the United States and themselves, so such a tragic act is just a battle in this long war between cultures.

As sick as it sounds I understand their justification for their acts, I disagree profoundly with their reasoning it is reasoning all the same. Where as with the VT shooter I just can not grasp why after killing his ex-girlfriend he killed 31 more people before taking his own life. Killing his ex-girlfriend is within the realm of possibility to me, his hatred to see her gone from his life could produce the end result of "if she can not be mine then no one else may have her." I can see that and have seen that in movies, even killing the bystander/Ra/new boyfriend makes sense for me, because it was in the high after shooting his ex-girlfriend but that still leaves 30 innocent unconnected people dead and the lives of their friends family and anyone who has met them altered forever.

I mean what kind of selfish person takes the lives of 30 people they barely even no just because they want to end it all? How can your own mind rationalize the death of those 30 people? People with lives, with people who care about them? I just can not understand it and probably never will, but i would like to think that what happened yesterday is not what we truly are.

No comments: